York Regional Police's Canine Unit is made up of 15 teams, consisting of an officer and a Police Service Dog (PSD). We now have our own Police Service Dog training staff that has extensive expertise in all aspects of training requirements. York Regional Police currently has the third largest canine unit in the province.
The Canine Unit provides specialized support to frontline officers and investigative units in the following areas:
- Tracking suspects that have fled on foot
- Searches for missing persons
- Building and area searches
- Evidence searches
- Criminal apprehension
- Emergency response containment
- High risk vehicle stops or arrests
- Insecure premises
Additionally, the Canine Unit provides support in the following specialty areas:
- Firearms and ammunition detection
Click here to meet our Police Service Dogs.