Fingerprint and Photograph Destruction Request
York Regional Police
Information Management Bureau
17250 Yonge St,
Newmarket, ON L3Y 4W5
An applicant must be at least eighteen (18) years of age or older and meet the following criteria:
· Have no criminal convictions with ANY Police Agency.
· Have no outstanding charges before the Courts.
· Must not be the subject of any Peace Bond.
· The application cannot be made within one year of an Absolute Discharge.
· The application cannot be made within three years of a Conditional Discharge.
· The application cannot be made within one year of a stay of proceedings (other than judicial stay).
· If your charges were withdrawn, dismissed, quashed, discharged, if you were acquitted or given a judicial stay – no waiting period.
It is our procedure to deny fingerprint destruction if there are mitigating circumstances such as: there is a risk to public safety, the charges are of a serious nature or if the applicant is part of an ongoing investigation.
Partial destruction is NOT considered.
The applicant will be notified in writing if the request has been approved or denied, including the reasons for denial of the request.
If the applicant is a youth, fingerprints may be destroyed once the charges have met non-disclosure requirements under the Youth Criminal Justice Act/Young Offenders Act. If the charges have met with a conviction, the youth fingerprints will not be destroyed however will be SEALED upon meeting the non-disclosure date.
When approved by York Regional Police, a request will be sent to the RCMP for the return of the original fingerprints. Upon receipt of said fingerprints, York Regional Police will send a letter to the applicant advising them of the destruction date. If the RCMP does not approve the request for destruction, they will inform York Regional Police and in turn, York Regional Police will inform the applicant.
The applicant has the option of viewing the destruction of the fingerprints and photographs in person on the date provided. If interested, the applicant should contact the phone numbers provided on the letter.
There is no fee charged for the destruction of fingerprints or photographs.
Questions may be directed to Janine Hanko, Document Control Supervisor at 1-866-876-5423 ext. 7077.