Court Security Officers play an important role in the York Regional Police organization. Court Security Officers are civilian members. Once hired, Court Security Officers are sworn as a Special Constable, which is a designation issued by the Province of Ontario. The duties of the Court Security Officer include but are not limited to: court building and courtroom security, accused security, access control and security, accused transportation.
All applicants for the position of Court Security Officers with the York Regional Police must meet the following criteria for consideration in the selection process.
- Possess a valid C.P.R and First Aid Certificate Level C
- Possess a valid driver's licence class G
- Proof of successful completion of four years of secondary school education or equivalency
- Have no criminal record for which you have not yet receive a pardon
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident of Canada
- At least eighteen years of age
- Physically and mentally able to perform the duties of the position, having regard to his or her safety and the safety of members of the public
- Be of good moral character and habits
- Minimum vision correctable to a minimum of 20/20, uncorrected 20/40
- Hearing within acceptable standards: Normal hearing at frequencies of 500 to 4000 Hz , as assessed by York Regional Police medical doctor
- Motor skills, upper body strength and cardio-vascular endurance
In addition selected members must:
- Successfully complete a fitness test (PIN), or successfully complete the PREP test in accordance with the OACP requirement.
- Successfully complete a GATB test or have successfully completed the PATI test in accordance with the OACP requirement.
- Both the PATI and PREP tests must be valid at the time of the application process.
- A paramed x must be completed by a physician prior to attending a PIN test session, if applicant is over 40 years of age or has a medical condition
Both police and civilian personnel enjoy a full benefit package that will be outlined once the applicant has been hired with York Regional Police.