The Community Safety Village is wonderful learning environment for elementary and secondary school classes and students with special needs.
The Community Safety Village offers fire education classes with a focus on life skills for students in York Region with special needs.
Our interactive program is:
- A 70-minute lesson (commencing at 9:30 a.m./10:50 a.m./1 p.m.) available from September to June
- Conducted inside a indoor replica apartment so weather is never an issue
- Offered at no cost (you book your own transportation)
- Held in an accessible environment
- Includes a fire safety lesson which teaches children about what to do when they hear the smoke alarm, seeing and touching hazards in their homes, getting out of a smoke-filled room and going to a meeting place
- Adapted to the needs of each group and taught by an educator who has experience working with special needs students
- A hands-on, sensory-based fire education lesson with a focus on life skills
We also have an outdoor pavilion which can be used for lunch or self-directed activities.
Please phone Dana Bourdages 905-895-1221 ext. 2881 to discuss dates and times. You will be asked questions about your class to help us determine the most appropriate fire safety program to suit your needs.
Download the Request to Attend the Safety Village (Special Needs) form here.