Browser Compatibility Notification
It appears you are trying to access this site using an outdated browser. As a result, parts of the site may not function properly for you. We recommend updating your browser to its most recent version at your earliest convenience.

Emergency? Call 9-1-1

Non-Emergency? Call 1 (866) 876-5423

Road Watch

Decrease Text Size Default Text Size Increase Text Size |
Print Link

ROAD WATCH is a community-driven program that provides citizens with a means to report aggressive or unlawful driving behaviour. Instances of speeding, unsafe lane changes, disobeying traffic lights and running stop signs are some types of behaviors that qualify for a ROAD WATCH submission.

If you see an impaired driver, street racing or other behaviour that is an immediate danger to human safety, please call 9-1-1.

File a ROAD WATCH report here

Once a submission is received by York Regional Police, the information will be reviewed by an officer and, if appropriate, a letter will be sent to the owner of the vehicle outlining the date, time and location of the incident. The letter will also include important messages encouraging the owner to ensure anyone who drives their vehicle, do so in a safe and responsible manner.

ROAD WATCH may be used when:

  • No collision occurred. If the incident resulted in a collision, please call police for further instructions
  • The suspect driver is not known to you. If the identity of the driver is known, call police
  • The suspect's licence plate number was obtained. A brief description of the vehicle is also needed to validate the licence plate information

As accurate a description as possible of the incident should be submitted. Provide as much information as possible to ensure action can be taken against the suspect vehicle owner.

  • It is policy of York Regional Police to accept reports of incidents that occur inside and outside of York Region. If this incident occurred outside of York Region, your report will be forwarded upon your request to the local police service for the area where the incident occurred. Please note there will be no confirmation the occurrence is being investigated. It is recommended you contact the police service having jurisdiction where the occurrence took place. Click here for map of York Region.

Online Report Criteria:

  • You MUST have a valid email address
  • You MUST provide the vehicle's licence plate number
  • You MUST disable your computer's pop-up blocking software before you may proceed

Please note:

  • Filing a false police report is a criminal offence
  • You may be contacted by email or telephone if further information is required

If your incident happened outside of York Region please visit that service's website to ensure the report is looked after:

On a 400 series highway: Ontario Provincial Police

East of the York/Durham line: Durham Regional Police 

South of Steeles Avenue: Toronto Police Service  

West of Highway 50 & the Caledon King Townline: Peel Regional Police 

Each municipality has their own local bylaws. Frequent questions pertaining to bylaws include:

  • Noise complaints
  • Animal control
  • Parking issues
  • Off-Road Vehicles

These are NOT Road Watch reports. Please visit YRP's Municipal Bylaw page to be directed to your municipality.