Browser Compatibility Notification
It appears you are trying to access this site using an outdated browser. As a result, parts of the site may not function properly for you. We recommend updating your browser to its most recent version at your earliest convenience.

Emergency? Call 9-1-1

Non-Emergency? Call 1 (866) 876-5423

Collision Reporting

Decrease Text Size Default Text Size Increase Text Size |
Print Link

A wrecked car

Online collision reporting

After some motor vehicle collisions, drivers may now skip the line at a collision reporting centre and report their collisions online. If they are able to, drivers are strongly encouraged to report online.

A collision may be reported online if it occurred within the past 72 hours. The collision must have taken place in Aurora, East Gwillimbury, Georgina, King Township, Newmarket, Markham or Whitchurch-Stouffville.

Currently, collisions that occurred in Richmond Hill or Vaughan may not be reported online – these can be reported at the Community Resource Centre. Collisions that occur outside of York Region may be reported to the police with jurisdiction where the collision occurred.

Before submitting an online report, call 1-866-876-5423 to be assigned an incident number, which will simplify the reporting process.

Learn more about online collision reporting

Following a collision

First steps

A car leans into a ditch

Stay calm, don't drive away. Assess your next steps:

  • If it is safe, move your vehicle to the side of the road.
  • Be careful to avoid traffic when moving your vehicle or exiting from it.
  • Do not leave the scene. Failing to remain at the scene is an offence that may cost you up to $2,000 and seven demerit points. 
  • If you can, check the well-being of other motorists involved.

When to call 9-1-1

Contact police if your collision involves:

  • Someone who has suffered an injury as a result of the collision
  • A driver you suspect has committed a crime, such as impaired driving
  • A pedestrian or cyclist
  • An uncooperative driver
  • Damage to private property
  • A public transit or government vehicle, or a vehicle that is transporting dangerous goods

If police attend, ask for the officer's name and badge number, as well as the incident number assigned to the collision. Officers attending the scene will determine if an investigation is required and may direct you to a collision reporting centre or to report online. 

If the combined damage to vehicles is believed to be less than $2,000 (including parts and not labour) and none of the above circumstances are true, you do not require a police report. Exchange drivers' licenses, ownership and insurance information with any other drivers involved and report directly to your insurance company. 

A man in a uniform holds a bicycle next to a car that in a ditchTowing your vehicle

If your vehicle must be towed, you should:

  • Understand that you, as the vehicle's owner, have the power to decide which tow truck operator to hire.
  • Ensure there is an agreement on where the vehicle will be towed, what services are required and what the cost of those services will be
  • Ask for an cost estimate in writing
  • Only allow a tow truck operator to hook up your vehicle once you have hired its services

If your collision occurred in York Region, you are no longer required by police to have vehicles towed to a collision reporting centre to be inspected by an officer, provided you have taken close-up, wide and comprehensive photos of the damage and those are shared with the officer upon reporting. If you are reporting online, you will require photographs, as well as photographs of driver’s licence, ownership and insurance before submitting your online report.

Attending a collision reporting centre 

If you are directed by police, or if combined damage is believed to be more than $2,000 (including parts and not labour), you must report the collision in person at a collision reporting centre or online. Before attending, you should:

  • Call 1-866-876-5423 to be assigned an incident number, which will simplify the reporting process
  • Determine where you should report the collision:
    • If your collision occurred in Richmond Hill or Vaughan, report at the Community Resource Centre, located at 10720 Yonge St., Richmond Hill. Officers are available to take your report at the CRC from 8 a.m. to 7:30 p.m., seven days a week. 
    • If your collision occurred in Aurora, East Gwillimbury, Georgina, King Township, Newmarket, Markham or Whitchurch-Stouffville, report online.