Civilian members play an important role in the York Regional Police service. Civilians hold positions within the districts at the administration level and as crime analysts, communications, records inquiry bureau, human resource services, courts, finance, planning and information technology. Civilians are employed as permanent or temporary staff in both full and part-time employment. Some positions involve two or three rotating shifts; therefore in such cases applicants must be prepared to follow a rotating shift schedule. Civilian careers are attractive to those interested in working within a policing environment, but who are not necessarily interested in becoming a police officer. York Regional Police offers a professional environment where career development and advancement opportunities are available. An internal job posting system provides civilian members with an opportunity to apply for a promotion or a career change.
If we are unable to find the ideal candidate for a vacancy through our internal job posting process, we will recruit externally. Our selection process involves each of the following steps:
- Conducting a search for candidates through various recruitment efforts including but not excluded to postings on our Internet site, local and regional newspapers, trade papers and association web sites.
- Screening applicants to ensure the minimum requirements are met.
- Administering tests for applicants, which range from written and practical tests such as general English proficiency and keyboarding.
- Holding behavioral interviews based upon the essential competencies identified for the position.
- Conducting a background check for security clearance, which includes a check of criminal history, reference checks and a home visit.
- Offering employment to the successful candidate.
How to Apply
Send your resume and covering letter quoting the reference # to the attention of Manager of Human Resource Services, York Regional Police by mail to:
17250 Yonge St.
By fax to:
By email to:
Resumes will be kept on file for a period of three months and may be considered should any suitable positions become available.
Both police and civilian personnel enjoy a full benefit package that would be outlined after the applicant begins with the service. Some of the benefits include:
- Medical and dental coverage
- Life insurance coverage
- Pension plan
- Eyeglass coverage
Questions? Email us at email@example.com