Browser Compatibility Notification
It appears you are trying to access this site using an outdated browser. As a result, parts of the site may not function properly for you. We recommend updating your browser to its most recent version at your earliest convenience.

Emergency? Call 9-1-1

Non-Emergency? Call 1 (866) 876-5423

Victims Rights

Decrease Text Size Default Text Size Increase Text Size |
Print Link

A female police officer speaks to a man

Know your rights

As a victim, you have rights to information, protection, participation and restitution under the Canadian Victims Bill of Rights.

You have the right to ask for information

A man and a woman speak to a woman

As a victim of crime, you have the right to request information about the criminal justice system, available services and the progress of your case.

Here is what you can expect:

  • Police will record all important information. Officers are required to ask specific questions
  • If you have suffered an injury, members of the police may take photographs, with your consent
  • If you require a safe place to stay, police or Victim Services of York Region representatives will assist you
  • If there are reasonable grounds to believe an offence has occurred, police may lay charges
  • After an arrest, an accused person may be released. Police will notify victims of any release conditions placed on the accused by the courts
  • Once a charge has been laid, it cannot be withdrawn. The case will be prosecuted by a Crown attorney at no cost to you
  • If the case proceeds to trial, you may be required to attend court and give evidence

You have the right to ask for protection

As a victim of crime, police must take your security and privacy into consideration at all stages of the criminal justice process.

If you are concerned for your own safety, you may also wish to consider the following:

Restraining order

Restraining orders are issued in family court. To apply for a restraining order, you may require the assistance of a lawyer. If a restraining order already in place is breached, report it to the police immediately.

Peace bond

A peace bond is a court order requiring the subject of the peace bond to keep the peace and be of good behaviour. Conditions may be attached to a peace bond.

If you fear that someone may harm you, a member of your family or someone close to you, you may apply to have that person entered into a peace bond. To apply for a peace bond, visit:

Ontario Court of Justice
50 Eagle Street West
Newmarket, ON L3Y 6B1

You have the right to participation

As a victim, you have a vital role to play in the process and your testimony may be an important part of the case against the accused.

Victim impact statement

A victim impact statement provides you with the opportunity to address the court after a finding of guilt, but before sentencing. The statement can be submitted in writing or delivered orally.

The victim impact statement should be a brief summary describing any harm done or loss you have suffered as a victim. This statement will be considered by the courts during the sentencing process.

You have the right to seek restitution

Property loss or damage

If you have suffered property loss or damage that resulted in criminal charges, you may be eligible to seek restitution. Speak to the Crown attorney prosecuting the charges for further information.

If property loss or damage may result in an insurance claim, it is important to inform your insurance agent as soon as possible. In the instance of credit card fraud, notify your credit card company immediately.

Victim Quick Response Program + (VQRP+)

Victims may be eligible for VQRP+, which offers support to help cover emergency and essential expenses, funerals and counselling costs. This newly enhanced program, delivered by Victim Services of York Region, is designed to support victims and families whose lives have been impacted by violence, including intimate partner violence,

Victim Services of York Region 
16775 Yonge Street 
Suite 207
Newmarket, ON  L3X 2P8